Friday, May 27, 2022

Adoption Tails: Olivia . . . a tail from the past

 Olivia (adopted 19 April, 2020)

[Her adopters want to share an update on Olivia.]

Olivia at Safe Haven
We (my partner and I) adopted Olivia over 2 years ago just at the beginning of Covid in April 2020. We thought that since we would be home a lot, it would be the perfect time to finally adopt a cat. Something we had talked about for a long time.

Olivia was extremely shy and I admit, I had doubts as to whether we were the right people and the right environment for her. But I worried she would never be adopted out or would be at the cattery for many more months. I believe she had been there 9 months already? [Ed: since November 2019] I didn't want to give up on her.

She was very scared but such a sweet and gentle nature. She has not once has she scratched, hissed or bitten.

So it took some time and a lot of coaxing with food to build her confidence. She tends to take her time and then suddenly, take a huge leap forward.

She now knows her home, her safe hiding spots and spends her nights exploring the house. She has become very vocal and if we get home late, she let's us know, she is highly unimpressed.

She has learned how to play and climb and explore. Whilst still a shy cat and at times lacking in confidence, we have developed a deep bond. She is so affectionate and loves cuddles A LOT. It is a standard and non negotiable requirement to snuggle and cuddle each morning and night (minimum), apparently. 

We are so grateful to have her in our lives and can't wait to see her grow in confidence more and more over the years.

I know it was so long ago that we adopted her  but I hoped it would be nice to be reminded how much of a difference everyone at Safe makes. I have attached some pictures. The pictures show a big change in her, but nothing compared to in person of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment